Anyway, here is what I have been working on. I have ventilated a couple of small patches, both with different densities and grey percentages. The first is 66% density with 50% grey:
|The test patch sitting on my arm.|
The second is 63% density with 21% grey. If I decide not to vary the colour throughout the piece, then this is the one I think I will use:
An interesting accidental discovery: The grey synthetic hair I'm using is longer than the dark human hair, so when I ventilate them together I get a beautiful fade from dark to light grey. Unfortunately all the light grey will be cut out in the final piece, but it's something I might try to incorporate in a future project. The one thing I really don't like about the synthetic hair is that the pressure of knotting in onto the lace causes it to develop a kink near the base of each hair. Although this does straighten out a bit with time, it never really disappears completely. I made the mistake of trying to wash the first patch with hot water to see if it would relax the kink. Unfortunately it only loosened my knots! If you look closely at the first pic you will see some large loops in the hairline. I definitely won't use hot water again!
This last pic show my process of bleaching the knots. Rather than spread the bleach on the back of the lace as I have seen many people do, I prefer to cover a styro head with plastic wrap and spread a thin layer of bleach solution onto the plastic. I tie up the hair of the piece to keep it out of the way, and lower the lace into the bleach, pulling it tight and pinning it down so that the bleach oozes through the holes a bit. I find it easier to control this way: