The SFS is much finer than the lace I have been using previously, and has definitely taken some getting used to. Although it is quite delicate and more fragile than my other lace, the main problem I am having is just being able to see which hole to knot into. Not only is it finer, so more difficult to see, but also the lace has a bit more more stretch, so the holes actually move around slightly while you're ventilating, making it more difficult to maintain any kind of pattern.
However, the end result is fantastic, and I will definitely be using the SFS at least for the front of my next piece. Below are a few shots of just a small test piece I completed just to see how well the SFS worked for me. The small (1 by 2 inch) patch is attached low on my forehead to avoid my own natural hair. This time I have just attached with got2b glued hair gel. Even with the got2b, the attachment is fantastic, but I would imagine with a proper adhesive, the lace will disappear completely.
One thing I'm not happy with this time is the knot-bleaching. I decided to use all double knots in this test, to see if they would be feasible in the front hairline for the sake of durability. I used a 40vol. developer to bleach them, which I would normally leave on for 30 minutes max. However, I ended up bleaching this piece twice, a total of 60 minutes, and the knots are still too visible for my liking.
So, I will be back to using single knots when I start the next full piece, at least for the hairline area. For me, it's definitely worth sacrificing a bit of durability for the most undetectable hairline possible. I'm glad I discovered this on a small test patch rather than after I had ventilated an entire hairpiece with double knots!
One other thing regarding bleaching: recently I have been adding a few drops of Ardell Red Gold Corrector Plus to the bleach mix, and it really does a great job of neutralizing those nasty yellow tones that you often get.
|This shows the test patch pinned to a styro head during the bleaching process.|